Media Law Library
Annual Newspaper Statement of Ownership
- Annual Publisher's Statement (Paid Publications: includes line for electronic edition subscriptions)
- Annual Publisher's Statement (Requester Publications Only)
- Online Subscription Worksheet
Attorney General Opinions
Constitutional Documents, Bill of Rights
- Kansas Constitution
- Kansas Bill of Rights
- U.S. Constitution
- The U.S. Bill of Rights, including the Preamble
Guide to Kansas Judicial Branch Open Records Requests
- Kansas Supreme Court rules on open records requests
- Official judicial branch form to request access to Kansas court records
- Explanatory information about open records
Kansas Journalist Shield Law
- Kansas Shield Law statute
- An essay on the Journalist Privilege
- Shield Law study by Chris Grenz (2012)
Kansas Juvenile Hearings, Records Law
- K.S.A. 38-1652 Kansas statute regarding openness of juvenile hearings
- K.S.A. 38-1607 Kansas statute regarding openness of juvenile records
Kansas Open Meetings Act
Click here to read the entire act.
Kansas Open Records Act
Click here to read the entire act.
Kansas Press Association publications, guidelines
- Kansas Newspaper Advertising Law Guide, written by Michael W. Merriam
- Sample Freelance Writer Agreement, provided by Michael W. Merriam
- 2014 Reporter's Pocket Guide to Open Government, includes sample statement to read in case of court closing
- Use of the terms "March Madness," "Super Bowl" and "Road to the Final Four"
- What constitutes fair use of copyrighted material?
- 64-101 Requirements to be a Legal Publication, First Class Cities/Counties/School Districts
- 12-1651 Requirements to be a Legal Publication, Second and Third Class Cities
- 28-137 Requirements for Legal Advertising Rates
- 64-102 Publication of Legal Ads on Certain Day of Week
- 12-1, 121 Rule for Public Notices Running Three Times (Failure to publish one notice)
Kansas Student Publications Law
- K.S.A. 72-1506 Liberty of press protected; regulation authorized; review of material not restraint on publication
Kansas Supreme Court guide to media coverage
Liquor, Alcoholic Beverages
Click here to read a letter from ABC about relaxed regulations on liquor advertising.
Probable Cause Affidavits (forms for requests)
The law on access to probable cause affidavits changed effective July 1, 2014. Click here to read a memo explaining the new process. For forms to request an affidavit or criminal investigation record, click here for arrest affidavits and click here for search warrant affidavits.
Click here to go to the Kansas Department of Revenue's page describing the raffle law in Kansas.
Rules on Political Advertising
- Political Ad Disclaimers required by Kansas Governmental Ethics Commission
- Political Ad Disclaimers required by Federal Election Commission
- Rules on "Paid for By" in political advertising, etc.
Rules on Sampling Newspapers
Sales Tax Issues for Newspapers
- July 23, 2010 memo from Kansas Department of Revenue on digital newspaper sales tax exemption
- K.S.A. 76-3606. This statute contains the exemptions that apply to newspapers, including machinery and equipment and supplies that go into the manufacturing process. Specifically, refer to (m), (kk)(1)(A)(B) and (C) and (2)(D).
- Sales taxes must be collected on retail newspaper sales, free distribution. Kansas Administrative Rule
Telemarketing laws for federal, state
Click here to read the Kansas attorney general's explanation of Kansas and federal telemarketing laws.