Federal judge halts proposed HHS changes to teen pregnancy prevention program

Posted August 19, 2026

Children’s Aid, a 170-year-old organization in New York City, told Stateline in July that their nearly $1 million grant that served 1,200 youth each year was canceled. A federal judge ruled Wednesday that the Trump administration can’t move forward with its proposed changes to the national prevention program. (Photo Courtesy of Children’s Aid)

Children’s Aid, a 170-year-old organization in New York City, told Stateline in July that their nearly $1 million grant that served 1,200 youth each year was canceled. A federal judge ruled Wednesday that the Trump administration can’t move forward with its proposed changes to the national prevention program. (Photo Courtesy of Children’s Aid)

A federal judge in the District of Columbia issued an order Wednesday blocking U.S. Health and Human Services from implementing sweeping changes to grants under the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program while a lawsuit proceeds, but dozens of existing grants that were canceled this summer will remain so for now, unless the administration chooses to reinstate the funds.  

The agency canceled 53 out of 67 grants under the program at the end of June, affecting grantees in more than two dozen states, including Louisiana, New York, Oklahoma and Texas. Grantees were given no advance notice and were told their programs did not align with agency priorities — most were told their programs normalized or promoted sexual activity for minors. The grants were canceled two years before their expiration dates.

Following the cancellations, three affected grantees and sex education advocacy group SIECUS: Sex Ed for Social Change filed a lawsuit in the District of Columbia federal court district on July 14. U.S. District Judge Christopher Cooper, an appointee of former President Barack Obama, said the plaintiffs are likely to succeed in the case, warranting his decision to block the Trump administration’s actions. 

But Cooper said it’s unclear whether he can order the restoration of nearly $70 million in canceled funds, and that other court cases need to be resolved before he can move forward with that kind of action.

Congress established the Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program in 2010 as a national, evidence-based grant program that would fund diverse programs working to prevent teen pregnancy using methods that have repeatedly shown to be effective. Grant recipients typically offer educational programs about preventing pregnancy or identifying healthy relationships, and provide referrals for community and healthcare resources as needed. 

Since then, teen pregnancy rates have fallen about 72%, which researchers say is the biggest contributor to the overall drop in national birth rates.

To replace the canceled grants, HHS published two notices for new programs that focused less on preventing pregnancy and more on fertility tracking, “body literacy” goals and “reproductive goals counseling.”

“HHS is perfectly entitled to formulate its own views about how to stem teen pregnancy — or even whether it is worth preventing at all — and to pursue policy initiatives consistent with its viewpoint,” Cooper wrote in his ruling. “But it is not at liberty … to impose conditions on grant recipients that Congress did not intend or that are unreasonable or unexplained. The preliminary record suggests that HHS has done just that.”

Cooper said HHS could choose to reissue the grant funding opportunities under the previous guidelines, but it can’t move forward with the new ones while the lawsuit proceeds.

The judge also noted that in July 2025, HHS issued a notice telling grantees to revise their programs to align with current executive orders, including by deleting any references to health equity and inclusivity, and offered guidance about what it considered medically accurate and age appropriate content. 

Three grantees sued over the notice, saying it was contrary to the statute guiding the program as established by Congress, and another D.C. judge agreed, vacating the guidance and blocking its implementation. 

“As the saying goes, ‘When at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.’ HHS has taken this adage to heart,” Cooper wrote this week, citing the 2025 court case. “Unfazed by the adverse ruling, HHS issued new (grant funding notices)  that repackaged the vacated policy changes and imposed additional grant parameters.”

The administration could appeal the decision in the coming weeks. Stateline has requested comment from HHS officials.

Stateline reporter Kelcie Moseley-Morris can be reached at [email protected].

This story was originally produced by Stateline, which is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network which includes Kansas Reflector, and is supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity.

Read more