John Redmond was diverted from a law career when Allen White offered him a job as reporter on the Emporia Gazette. He purchased the Burlington Daily Jeffersonian in 1898, and changed the name to the Daily Republican.
During Redmond’s career, the Daily Republican was published in a town with a population of under 2,500, making it one of the smallest towns to support a daily newspaper for such a continuous period.
Redmond was a leader in his community and state prior to his death in 1953. He was a member of the State Historical Society, past president of the Kansas Press Association and a member of the board of trustees of the William Allen White Foundation. He also gained recognition for his work of promoting flood control in the state.