The 2014 Kansas Press Association annual convention in Manhattan begins Friday. Convention headquarters is the Hilton Garden Inn.
"Livin' It Up in the Little Apple" is the theme of this year's convention, and the sponsors include AAA, ArchiveInABox, Baker University, e-Type Services, Family Features, Kansas Electric Cooperatives, Kansas FarmBureau, Kansas Gas Service, Kansas State University, the University of Kansas and the Kansas Newspaper Foundation.
Here are some things you need to know:
• The KPA Board of Directors will meet at 6 p.m. on Thursday at the hotel.
• The Kansas Newspaper Foundation Board of Directors will meet at 9 a.m. on Friday.
• The Past President's Luncheon is at 11:30 a.m. on Friday.
• The first program Friday is at 3 p.m., when Russell Viers, one of the nation's leading experts on Adobe desktop products, will present "Using Creative Suite as a Single Application.
• The Friday night banquet begins with the President's VIP Reception at 6 p.m. on the outside terrace at the Flint Hills Discovery Center, located just north of the Hilton Garden Inn. The banquet will follow inside. You might consider bringing a sweater, jacket or coat for the outside reception. Two new members will be named to the Kansas Newspaper Hall of Fame, and recipients of the Clyde M. Reed Jr. Master Editor Award, the Gaston Outstanding Mentor Award, the Boyd Community Service Award and the Victor Murdock Award will be recognized.
• Twitter! We are using a new attendee engagement tool this year called Tweet Beam. Remember this hashtag: #kpastars. We will be using this hashtag for door prize giveaways as well as during our AOE presentation. If you don’t have a Twitter account, sign up today! It is free and many newspaper colleagues are members.
Go here to download a registration form.